Thursday, 27 September 2012

Leaving Worcester

Thursday 27th September

Phoenix’s early morning walk took us down to the river which had risen a few more inches and did not look as though it would be open to boats by Friday.
We walked back via Diglis Basin which looked lovely in the morning sunlight with the swans swimming across it.

* Diglis Basin
Opposite the Visitor Mooring I noticed this narrowboat which seemed very low in the water. I could not make up my mind if it was sinking or just a very low gunwale level. I fear it is the former.

* Sinking Ship ???
* Worcester Visitor Moorings
After breakfast we headed out of Worcester and surprisingly found the first lock at the Commandery to be in our favour and were soon on to the next which was full.

* Leaving Worcester
We motored on in glorious sunshine to the Gregory’s Mill locks which the CART note asked us to empty after we had gone up them Could not work out why this would be but just followed their request.
Next came the Bilford locks where Bill had asked us to look out for any old buildings which might be of interest to Jackie tracing her family history. Unfortunately there were none but just new housing and this canal side cottage which had been developed to look in keeping with other lock cottages and was up for sale.

* Bilford Top Lock

* Bilford Top Lock – cottage for sale.
* Bilford Bottom Lock looking at Top lock and Bridge.
Continuing on to Blackpole locks we encountered the first two boats we had seen moving for the last two days and both were descending the locks. The second boat told us that they had hoped to go to Droitwich but that the canal was closed as boats could not get under M5. Adam was right about the rising waters of the River Salwarpe. I did not think that we had had that much rain. 
All the remaining locks were in our favour and we made good speed to Tibberton where we moored up in front of a Viking hire boat. They soon wended their way back to Worcester and we were left on our own.
After lunch I walked into the village and found a Post Office and Stores and had a nice chat to the Postmistress. She asked if we were going to the Biggest Coffee Morning in aid of McMillan on Friday. In order to catch the workers they were doing Coffee and Croissants from 8.30am. I only had to mention it to June and we were going.
As were travelling I had a call from Dennis and Karen to ask where we were as they would like to come and visit. We arranged to meet them for tea and home made cake at Tibberton at 3pm and later go for a meal together at the Bridge Inn.
We had a good meal and returned to the boat for a nightcap before they left us at 9pm.

* Dennis and Karen
By this time we were surrounded by Viking and Canaltime hire boats who could not go on the river and so were restricted to the Staffs and Worcester canal.

No comments:

Post a Comment